Saturday, July 29, 2006

Putting the road trip in drive

Well, we’re on the road home now, officially. Once we left New Jersey, after dropping Krista off, the road trip blues hit me. Leaving the East Coast, after spending nearly two months wandering around, made me feel a little homesick. What will I do without those wonderful Jersey bagels? And a Dunkin Donuts on every corner? Really, what I’ll miss the most is what I always miss: the ability to get in my car, drive a little while, and be at the home of one of my childhood friends.

It was a great interlude to spend two nights in State College with Tamara and Justin, but then we had to hit the road again. We’ve been driving and driving and driving. Or so it feels. It’s only going to be more hard-core driving from now on, as we’re finally on the return trip, with our arrival deadline in Oregon of Aug. 12. If we’re going to see the other four states I’m missing, we’ll have to spend more time in the car than exploring all the little places along the way. Sigh.

After two semi-long driving days, we landed in St. Louis to spend two nights with my grandmother. She took us to dinner last night at her retirement village, and we went back for a hearty breakfast this morning. I’m still full. Hopefully today we’ll see my cousins and play some more rounds of canasta with Grandma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home