Monday, July 17, 2006

People who know people

Three times in the last day and a half, people have thought we were somebody else. Twice this happened to Jonathan, once to me. A fourth incident happened in Florida in a grocery store, where a woman swore she knew me from somewhere. Either we have familiar, friendly looking faces, or we have dopplegangers wandering around on the East Coast. If it's the latter, they must be nice, because a lot of people want to talk to them.

I've been on a hometown kick these past few days. It was amazing to be at Chiara's wedding, and she looked absolutely gorgeous. We've known each other for years, since the early days of playgroup. Our time at Chiara and Jimmy's wedding was being witness to a wonderful union, but it was also a reunion with old neighbors and friends. We all laughed and chatted, and as far as the dancing is concerned, my mom and dad can really get down!

Today was another set of reunions with old friends and my former next door neighbor, and the neighbors from across the street and two houses down. It's so fun to talk fast and share news from the past decade or so. There's so much to catch up on. We also had dinner with my parents and our longtime friends, Brigitte and John, at Vinnie's Pizza in Bloomfield. We had such a good time. And I have to say, it's great to be around people who talk the way I grew up talking, using their hands, syllables spilling out one after another in warp speed, because that's not so much an Oregon thing, and these people, even though I haven't some of seen them in years, I miss them terribly.

Krista, our niece, arrived safe and sound tonight, and we're headed to New York City first thing tomorrow morning. It's her first time, Jonathan's third, and I'm not counting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home