Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My hat gets an outing



My hat and my husband and I had a wonderful long weekend in Oceanside, Oregon. We visited our friend Barbara and also went for a walk at Lost Boys' Beach, pictured above. It's a favorite spot of Jonathan's from back in the day.

Barbara's home overlooks the ocean, and we enjoyed hours of conversation, food and wave watching. We watched birds migrate south and the most beautiful sunset Sunday evening. It was definitely a sweet, relaxing time. We chatted up her lovebird, Peepbo, and I got some more knitting done on my road trip afghan.

On Saturday night, we dressed to the nines for the annual Tillamook Mayor's Ball. Lots of mayors were there. Six maybe? Mayor after mayor after mayor from local towns, plus the Tillamook mayor, plus at least one candidate running for mayor this November. Jonathan had a long chatty talk with the incumbent mayor.

The theme was the Queen Mary and the 1930s. I wore my gorgeous hat from New Orleans for its trial public outing, and it was much appreciated. I paired it with a beaded black gown found on crazy clearance in Mystic Seaport this summer and a pair of square-toed heels with thin ankle straps. Barbara loaned me a shiny teal crystal necklace to bring the hat colors into the rest of the outfit. Jonathan wore a suit and lamented the lack of 1930s bling he could find to add to his outfit.

The food was set up at various "decks," such as the Promenade Deck and the English Tea Room. It was an elegant evening, held at the county fairgrounds. I've never been to anything quite like it. We sat with my former bosses and had a blast chatting and people watching.

2 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, the ocean is beautiful, but where is the photo of the two of you, oh and Jonathan, from the Mayor's Ball?

Tara

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Laura the Writer said...

Alas, we didn't take any pictures, neither my hat and I nor my husband and I! We meant to but didn't get that far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home