Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Oh where have the days gone?

It seems we've been slacking on our blog, but there's been so much else to do since we got home from our epic adventure. I've been freelancing and cooking and cleaning and working like crazy on my new novel. Plus I've been catching up with friends who I haven't seen in a while, sipping coffee with them and losing a couple hours here and there to conversation and giggling.

Even without a full-time job, every day seems chock full of things, good things, bad things, work-ish things, knitting things, chore things and dust. My allergies are back in full force, now that we're settled in, and despite regular vacuuming, I know dust is one of the culprits. Oh and grass. And all kinds of things. My husband's joking again that I might be allergic to him.

Despite the chill in the weather, our front-yard roses are still in bloom. They're looking a bit windblown and haggard, but they're nice spots of color when we look out the front windows. The enormous maple in the front yard has given up its yellowy green summer colors for a richer coat of reds and oranges. Across the street, our neighbor's tree is a deep wine.

Home is a nice place to be. Especially on the rainy days. We have our pumpkin decorations out on the table to brighten the gray afternoons.

My road trip afghan, despite my best intentions, is merely at its halfway mark. It's a very cozy thing to sit with, though, whether I'm actually knitting it or not. The size now is perfect for a lap blanket, but I'm going to keep growing it, as originally planned, because I have the yarn and the time.

Something exciting's bound to happen soon. Any day now. When it does, we'll write all about it. The next big event on our agenda is the Mayor's Ball in Tillamook, Oregon, with a Queen Mary theme. It's next weekend. Of course I'll bring my New Orleans hat out for its first public appearance. Mementos of our road trip have found their way into all the nooks and crannies of our house, where they surprise and delight us. Trying my hat on this weekend transported me back to that little shop on Royal Street and the very helpful staff at Fleur de Paris.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home