Saturday, September 09, 2006

March of the crab



These guys don't look so happy to be cooked.

We went crabbing last weekend in Pacific City, on the Oregon coast, with Jonathan's family. While we took turns out on the river in the boat, Aunt Nancy and Uncle Bob set up a camping stove and cooked the crab we brought back. We ate it right there on the beach, tossing the empty shells into the bonfire, where they hissed a little. These are the ones we brought back home with us to give out to folks. The fog rolled in while we were out there, and it got quite chilly. My niece and I explored the sand dunes near where our camp was set up, and we found it was quite a bit warmer there, between the scraggly plants and sheltered from the wind off the water.

Yesterday, I visited friends on the coast where we used to live, and it was so joyful to walk barefoot on the beach with Salena and Connie, except for that one dog poop incident. We had lunch, took a walk and then found our way to the free 20 ounce coffees at the new Dutch Brothers in Newport. My Dutch Mocha was nice and smooth. After a quick stop at my old newspaper, I visited with friend Tara and her super-smart son Zac. Driving home, with the sunset just beginning in my rearview mirror, I felt free and crazily happy. Like I was out on the road again.

Our summer adventures have wound down and turned into regular, smaller adventures, closer to home. It's nice, but definitely something to get used to again. After a few more favorites lists, we're done writing about our big trip. Expect to see occasional blogs, instead of the nearly daily ones we were doing. After all, job hunting just isn't as exciting as going to Graceland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home