Thursday, August 10, 2006

The big Five-Oh

Yep.

I've officially been to all 50 states now and spent a bit of time in each one. Quick drive-throughs didn't count to mark a state off, only actual activities and wandering about.

I don't know what this means. Certainly not bragging rights. Perhaps it'll make me a better conversationalist in Oregon, meeting all those people who have moved to the Beaver State from elsewhere. Oh, Nevada? Whereabouts? Winnemucca? I was there last month, running amucka.

Utah was my 50th state, and I was on a take-it-or-leave it bend for a while, thinking if I saw all 50 by the end of this summer, maybe there wouldn't be a reason to go back out on the road. But with all the cool stuff we've seen, there are tons of interesting and weird and beautiful places we didn't find the time for. In two and a half months. All that time, and we still couldn't see all of America. Kind of a good feeling to realize that.

The time has gone by so fast. Starting the trip, I was sure we'd be able to spend as much time as we wanted in every place and see every little thing that piqued our fancy. Ha. All the more reason to do another trip down the road, so to speak. Besides, Jonathan has only seven more to go before he's seen all 50!

2 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on reaching all 50! So you've been to Alaska too I take it? Not on this road trip though.. :)
Hope your NJ wedding stop was worth it - it was GREAT to see you both - and you should have kept the $10!!!!!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Laura the Writer said...

Alaska happened back when I was in 5th grade, but I remember it well, so it still counts! Nevertheless, we'll be planning an Alaska trip someday to visit my brother-in-law and his family, who live in Anchorage.

The New Jersey wedding stop was definitely a highlight! Everything was so incredible, and you looked absolutely gorgeous, Ms. Bride. Jonathan would have only bought more cappuccinos with the $10. Hee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home