Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Knit in back, purl in back of the van

Here, at long last, is a knitting update about my road trip afghan. I've been hitting lots of yarn shops, in part due to my friend Heather's knowledge of them around the Boston area. My fear of running out of yarn has been supplanted by the fear that my stash is growing so rapidly, I might find myself knotted onto the steering wheel.

The knitting is going pretty well now. I'm finally very sure I'm on the right track with the pattern. Whoopee! Even better, I'm starting to memorize the pattern. Mine looks like the one in the picture that came with the pattern, but with more colors, textures and general craziness. I love it. Sometimes I think it clashes, but then I add another color yarn, and it balances the whole thing out. I have about 14 inches of blanket now, which could theoretically keep a small dog warm.

Six colors are in there so far, and I have three other skeins waiting for their turns on the stage. The yarn this morning was from a creative little store in downtown Portland, Maine. It's handspun in Maine, and it's a soft brownish-pink. Very feminine. Very different from the red and gold ribbon from Cambridge, the deep reddish brown from Lexington and all the other colors that have come before.

This afghan might actually end up reflecting our trip and what we've seen of America. If only I keep knitting.

1 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura, what a great memory of your road trip! I cannot wait to see photos of it.

Take care,
Tara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home